Ok so in this post I am not just talking about a particular type of event but ANY event. These could range from blogger events to events which are going to take off your career because at the end of the day they are all important. The critical thing about events is definitely networking a.k.a having drinks with people that have the same interests as you. This may all sound very daunting and trust me, there have been many times when I have felt so nervous before these type of events, but often they can be more fun than you can imagine. Not only this but you never know who you could meet, maybe your new employer or your new employee! Meeting new people, or networking to be more professional, is a great way to expand your horizons, professionally as well as socially, I have met some great people that I speak to even now!
|Try and do your research!|
So here are my top tips for attending any event;
- Take a pen and paper - I like to take my leather note pad as I feel all business like and ready to take on the world
- Jot down all the names of people you meet - Then add them on LinkedIn or follow them on Twitter when you get home
- Give out business cards - Easier than remembering all your details
- Don’t drink too much - As boring as it sounds, you don’t want to be remember as THAT person. Mix it up with some water as you will be chatting loads! (This point may not be applicable to every event…)
- Always thank the event organiser - It pays to be nice!
- Don’t be nervous - Remember you will be there for a reason, so be brave and make conversation!
So the sky really is your limit so get out there! You can often sign up to events online so get googling!