Happy Anniversary to Me
One year! One year already I hear myself cry! How time flies when you are having fun. I cant believe a whole year has gone by when I first thought, 'what the hell, I am just going to do it.' I had always thought I would like start my own blog but I always seemed to get consumed with something else. I am not going to say it was an easy ride, because it was most definitely not. There has been lots of changes, highs and lows but here I am, a whole year later.
I started Shilly Sossage not entirely knowing what I was doing and then it sort of involved into this lifestyle blog which dips into beauty and fashion from time to time. I thought I would put a few things together about what I have learnt for bloggers or even people that are thinking of starting their own blog..
Things I have learnt
- Blogging takes up ALOT of time. I know everyone says that but you don't really realise how much time it takes up until you are knee deep in writing posts, replying to comments and uploading onto social media. My main advice is, do not take the decision to start a blog lightly!
- It is ok to not blog everyday, honestly. I used to beat myself up when I didn't blog at least a few times a week, but it just didn't work with my lifestyle. I want blogging to be a hobby, not a chore!
- Creating a community is the most amazing feeling, much better than any like on Facebook or double tap on Instagram can ever give you. You may have seen from one of my previous post, but I am all for developing relationships and encouraging other bloggers, because you are all in the same boat!
- Not everyone is going to like your content and you don't need to see that as a negative. Ok, so sometimes, people are going to be mean. Whether that is because they don't want to see you do well or they just think your content is shitty. If it is the latter, constructive criticism never hurt anyone and sometimes it is good to take it on board [p.s if it is the first, go and write a killer blog post!!!]
Things I want to improve
- I think every bloggers main aim is to grow their blog, right? I most definitely do not want to be the next Zoella but having a wider network would be great. I possibly just need to find a bit more time?!
- I haven't really utilised Blog Lovin' at all with my blog. I mean I use it and occasionally browse other peoples blogs, but I think this is a platform that I need to spend more time on. If anyone has any tips, help a sister out!
- I have loved working with brands, I really have. I know that sometimes people think that blogging is the easiest way to get 'free stuff' but I can tell you, it takes a lot of hard work! I would love to get more involved with some brands that fit well with my blog, and it is also a great way to find out about smaller companies that offer amazing products.
- As I mentioned before, I love interacting with other bloggers. Clearly we all have the same interest so why not?! I am a stones throw away from the capital of the UK, surely blogger events happen right? Hopefully once I find them I will be able to actually meet some other bloggers in person which would be fantastic!
So there are just a few little tips I think would have helped me when I first started my blog! I also thought to celebrate my one year anniversary I would do a little giveaway, so get involved for the chance to win this ama-zing blogger journal from Paperchase [Sooo good to keep you organised!] I will announce the winner on Twitter on the 13th of November.
A massive thank you to anyone that has supported me over the last year - you guys are the best!